The Google+ Hangouts has been described as its “front porch” by Google. As the name suggests, it is a great place to hang out with friends. Unlike Facebook, it offers group video chat facility with up to 10 people at a time. As expected, the Hangout is growing with popularity. Some of your friends may have already started using it. If you want to join the party, you should know about certain aspects of this latest social media foray.
The Google+ Hangout Guide
- Features of Google+ Hangouts – Undoubtedly, the live video conferencing service is the most prominent feature of the Hangout. As of now, it facilitates video chatting with up to 10 people. However, in cases where you need to include more than 10 people, you can utilize its ‘On air’ option. Apart from this, there are several other interesting features of the Hangout. For example, you can use its video sharing option to watch a YouTube video in group. You can also share your screen and draw, doodle or paint pictures together with your friends in the Google+ Hangouts.
- Prerequisites for Saring Hangout – You must create a Google+ account for getting started in the Hangout. Apart from a webcam and a microphone, you should consider the following technical requirements in your system for the best experience in Google+ Hangouts.
- Operating system – Google+ supports Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows /Vista, Mac OS X 10.5+, and Chrome.
- Browsers – You can use Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 8, Chrome 10, Firefox 3, and Firefox 4 for best results.
- Processor – Google suggests using 2 Ghz Dual core or higher versions for best results.
- Bandwidth – If you want to use the Hangout for one-on-one chatting, 900kbps (up/down) is sufficient. But in case of group video chatting, you may require bandwidth of up to1800kbps (up/down).
- How to Get Started with Google+ Hangouts - In order to start using the Hangout, you have to login to your Google+ account and click on the ‘start a hangout’ button. Then you have to install the Google voice and video plug-in; and click on the ‘Hangout’ button. After that you should check whether or not the webcam and the microphone are working fine. In case of any trouble, you can click on "Troubleshoot your settings". Then make the necessary adjustments and save the changes. Finally, you can invite and add friends to start hanging out together on this platform.
Online social networks seem to be the way forward today, if you want to make friends, catch up with acquaintances or promote a business.